Supplier Agreement Management (SAM) is a Process Area at CMMI Maturity Level 2. SAM is not applicable, when an organization is not using any third party vendor/supplier. SAM is an important process area and is applicable when your organization uses the services of external vendor for purchase of Product or Services for Software Development at any phase of the Software Development.
Guidelines for SAM consist of mainly following activities:
- Identify acquisition. Identify the type of acquisition required from external vendor/supplier.
- Select suppliers. Next step is to select suppliers. Once ready with the type of services or product required from vendors, organization can move on to select vendors. For this use the formal alternate evaluation method for selection of vendors. Select vendors based on different criteria like cost, quality of services, references, prior experience etc.
- Establish agreements. Establish a formal agreement before starting work with the supplier. Agreement in general include items like product or services definition, deadlines, deliverable, costs, reporting mechanism etc.
- Execute agreement. While work is going on with the vendor, organization should review that the terms and conditions are satisfied and the vendor is providing timely updates, reports etc.
- Accept the product. Once work is completed as per requirements and terms and conditions, organization shall accept the service/product from the vendor formally. Reviews and Testing shall be conducted for the accepted service/product. Defects shall be closed by the vendor.
- Perform Transitioning of the Product into the target environment. For this organization can prepare a transition plan, which shall include activities like training for end users, maintenance services, reporting requirements etc.
Want CMMI Experts to handle your SAM engagements
DQS India, and Authorised CMMI Partner, is a premier CMMI Consulting Services Provider. We provide CMMI Consulting Services to handle your SAM Engagements with your suppliers and vendors on your behalf. We provide impartial reporting on the actual status and metrics of the services/products development. We also help in the validation and verification services. We can provide a transition plan for the acquired product/services into the targeted environment.
Contact DQS India
Rajendra Khare (MD)
DQS Certification India Private Limited