In CMMI Maturity Level 3, there is requirement of a standardized and organizational set of processes. These processes need to be implemented in all projects running in the organization so that there is consistency among projects implementations. Establishment of QMS i.e. Organizational Process Assets is covered in the Organizational Process Definition (OPD) Process Area which is available in CMMI Maturity Level 3.
In CMMI words:
The purpose of Organizational Process Definition (OPD) is to establish and maintain a usable set of organizational process assets, work environment standards, and rules and guidelines for teams.
QMS consists of following documentation:
- All applicable processes and associated documentation – templates, checklists and guidelines.
- Lessons learnt from earlier projects
- Risk Database from earlier projects
- Estimation Sheets from earlier projects
- Guidelines for Teams
- Work Environment Standards
Benefits of QMS in the Organization
Having a centralised and accessible Quality Management System (QMS) in the organization have many benefits to the organization, some of these are:
- It enables consistent process execution across the organization
- It acts as basis cumulative, long-term benefits to the organization in terms of process improvement and maturity of the organization with maturity of people and processes.
- It supports organizational learning
- It allows the sharing of best practices and lessons learned among project teams
- It helps project teams by providing database of earlier project’s Risks and Estimation
- It helps in providing guidelines for Teams
- It is used to store Work Environment Standards
Let experts design your CMMI Quality Management System (QMS)
We at DQS India (CMMI Partner) have CMMI Appraisers and CMMI Consultants who have expertise in designing the QMS. We have developed QMS for many organizations across the world. We can also develop and deploy integrated QMS for covering different standards and models like ISO 9001 and CMMI for Development.
We also have a CMMI-Toolkit to help you quickly deploy QMS in the organization. CMMI-Toolkit contains processes and associated documentation – templates, checklists and guidelines.