Definition isnâ€™t done wellâ€¦.. What youâ€™ll see:
- Staff resists using the guidance in the standard processes that have been defined
- Mother of all process manualsâ€ sits on the real (or virtual!) shelf
- Lots of time being spent getting process waivers
- Extreme amount of tailoring requested by each project.
Why Should You Care? Becauseâ€¦
- Since defining processes is an overhead task, defining processes that canâ€™t be used/cause lots of work to â€œget aroundâ€ is a direct waste of profit
- Using processes that are ineffective can cause many of the other symptoms weâ€™ve discussed
- Staff who lack confidence in the organizationâ€™s ability to provide useful guidance will probably look elsewhere for jobs
- Lots of tailoring leads to less and less reuse of process knowledge and skills, thus reducing your Return on Investment (ROI) in process definition activities.