The purpose of Technical Solution (TS) is to help in the selection of the design and implementing solution to requirements. Technical Solution involves working with product, product components, lifecycle model selection etc. TS focuses on evaluating, selecting solutions, developing details designs and then implementing these designs.
Technical Solution (TS) process area is available at CMMI Maturity Level 3 under the Project Management category.
How to implement Technical Solution (TS) as per CMMI:
Steps for implementing Technical Solution (TS) in projects are as follows:
- Selecting solutions for product components. First step for conducting Technical Solution in the project is to select products components. This is done through the evaluation of the different alternatives available. Available alternatives of a solutions are identified and evaluated against the defined criteria and the best alternative is selected based on the section methodology (rating, discussion etc.) used. For more details refer Decision Analysis and Resolution.
- Develop the Design. Then designs based on the selected product components are developed. Detailed design document (technical data package) is prepared that includes details of all features and parameters including forms, functions, interfaces and other parameters. Organizational or project design standards (e.g., checklists, templates, object frameworks) are used as basis for achieving a high degree of definition and completeness in design documentation. Client requirements are also mapped with the design to ensure coverage and traceability. Interfaces design for internal and external interfaces are given attention and are designed by applying the criteria to evaluate the interface design alternatives. For more details refer Decision Analysis and Resolution. Further make, buy and reuse analysis is conducted for the product components to decide whether they will be developed, buy or reused from organizational assets.
- Implement the Product Design. Project/Product Team then implement the design of the product and product components. For this software codes are written, data, processes and services are documented. Applicable guidelines and standards are followed. Once code is written then it is peer reviewed, unit tested and rework & revision is done. Product Documentation (manual, installation manual, and maintenance manual etc.) is also developed using the organizational standards and templates for the end users. This documentation is also peer reviewed and revised (if necessary) for completeness, correctness and accuracy.
Source: CMMI-DEV Model, CMMI Institute.
Interpretation by the author.
Benefits of Technical Solution (TS) in the projects
Technical Solution (TS) when conducted in the projects has following benefits:
- More accuracy in the selection of product components
- Helps in the alternate evaluation for technical solutions
- Helps in implementing design using established guidelines and standards
- Helps in review of code and user documentation
Want Technical Solution (TS) training in your organization
DQS India, CMMI Authorised Partner, provides Technical Solution (TS) for better management of the Design in projects. Training covers the best practices for selecting product solutions, evaluation alternatives, coding guidelines, peer review techniques, design implementation etc.
Training is delivered through highly qualified and experienced CMMI Authorised Trainer and CMMI Consultants.