This process helps in the development of New Services in the organization. The purpose of Service System Development (SSD) is to analyze, design, develop, integrate, verify, and validate service systems, including service system components, to satisfy existing or anticipated service agreements.
How to implement Service System Development (SSD) as per CMMI
Develop Stakeholder Requirements
Requirements collected (and developed) from customers and end users shall be documented in the service agreement or the separate Service Requirements Document.
Develop Service System Requirements
Service system requirements should address all aspects of the service system associated with service delivery, including work products, services, processes, consumables, and customer and other resources; as well as the functionality and quality attribute needs of relevant stakeholders.
Developing the requirements should involve involve the following:
- Architectural requirements for the quality attributes
- Requirements resulted from solution selections and design decisions
- Identification of dependencies between requirements so that Change Management can be handled in better way.
- Prioritization of derived requirements.
- Allocation of requirements to logical entities, service system components, and other entities as appropriate.
- Identification of interfaces both external and internal to the service system.
- Development of requirements for the identified interfaces.
Analyse and Validate Requirements
Requirements are validated by working with relevant stakeholders. Requirements shall be analyzed and validated by relevant stakeholders (internal and external).
Activities that should be performed:
- Analysis of the requirements (scenarios) in context of stakeholder needs, expectations, and constraints in which the proposed service system is expected to operate.
- Iterative refinement of operational concept and scenarios.
- Reviews of operational concepts and scenarios shall be conducted periodically.
- Required functionality and quality attributes shall be described which means description of what the product is to do.
- Analysis of requirements shall be conducted to ensure that they are necessary, sufficient
- Validate requirements to ensure the resulting service system will perform as intended in the end user’s environment.
Select Service System Solutions
Alternate Evaluation shall be performed for the available alternative solutions to select the best alternative.
Different solutions shall be identified and evaluated in order to find out the best alternative among them. For more information refer Decision Analysis and Resolution.
Develop the Design
Service system designs should be developed based on the requirements collected (and derived). Design should support the service system lifecycle for modification; transition and rollout; maintenance; sustainment; and service delivery.
Design development of Service System should include:
- Development of a design for the service system including preliminary and detailed design.
- Design adherence to allocated functionality and quality attribute requirements.
- Design of interfaces for the service system components using established criteria.
- Evaluation of the service system to be developed, purchased, or reused based on established criteria.
Interface for all types (internal and external) of requirements and designs shall be developed. These interface descriptions should be reviewed for coverage and completeness.
Implementation of the Service System Design
Designs shall be implemented using effective methods, adherence to applicable standards. Peer reviews and testing shall be conducted of selected service system components. If required, revise the service system and document the revision details.
Integrating Service System Components
Integration strategy and procedures shall be documented defining the Integration of the service system. Integration strategy shall describe the approach for receiving, assembling, and evaluating service system components.
Integration shall be done as per the Integration strategy and procedures. Readiness of the integration environment shall be ensured before proceeding with integration of Service System Components.
Conduct Verification and Validation Activities
Verification and Validation Plan should be prepared to plan the verification and validation to be performed.
Work Manager shall identify the type of reviews, testing and verification to be conducted, resources, schedule, method and procedure for the same.
Different Checklists, test cases, test scripts etc. can be prepared to focus on the important areas.
Verification and Validation activities shall be conducted on selected service system components and work products, to identify issues.
Verification and Validation Issues shall be logged, analyzed, tracked and closed. If required, training can be conducted for involved team stakeholders.
Applicable templates for SSD
- Alternate Evaluation Form
- End-User Requirement and Design Specification
- End-User Requirement Specification
- Post Implementation Review Report
- Review Sheet
- Verification and Validation Plan
Source: CMMI-SVC Model, CMMI Institute. Interpretation by the author
Benefits of Service System Development (SSD) in the organization
Service System Development (SSD) when conducted in the organization has following benefits:
- Helps in the development of new services in the organization
- Helps in managing the stakeholders expectation while developing new services
- Better control over new services development by proper planning
- Helps in defining the description and properties of services
Want implementation guidance for Service System Development (SSD) in your organization
We provide training for internal staff for leading successful development of new services in the organization. Training includes topic like service development planning, defining properties and descriptions of new services etc.
Training is delivered through highly qualified and experienced CMMI Authorised Trainer and CMMI Consultants.