Most of the organizations have a centralized repository to store CMMI Implementation data collected from different projects running in the organization. And many of these organizations does not utilize the repository to the maximum benefits. In this post we will focus to the least focused area i.e. Lessons Learnt.
This repository contains following items, in general:
- Organizational Processes
- Supporting artifacts for process like templates, checklists, guidelines and forms
- SDLC Models used in the organization
- Tailoring Guidelines used in the projects
- Org Level Metrics Data and Analysis Reports
- Org Level Audit Reports
- Training Artifacts
- Past Projects Data
- Metrics Data and Analysis Reports
- Audit Reports
- Risk Database
- Lessons Learnt
From these items the least focused area is the Lessons Learnt section or folder. Lessons Learnt is most important section available in the repository and this does not mean that other sections are less important.
The Lessons Learnt from a project explains a lot about the issues, problems, culture relating to the tasks and outcomes of the concerned project. In this way it helps in providing an insight into what didn’t go well in the project. Lessons Learnt contains the learning of the project team members from their respective projects. This learning could of any type that may help others in similar kind of projects. This greatly reduces the R&D time by the projects teams starting with new similar type of projects and helps them in advance to prepare for similar issues, problems in the projects.
There are many benefits to the Lessons Learnt in the organization:
- Help in making a good collection of issues/problems/gaps encountered in projects
- Can be utilised by project teams in similar projects
- Help them learning issues/problems/gaps resolution in advance
- Reduces the R&D time in new similar type of projects
- Reduces the learning time in new similar type of project
- Make Team Members of the new project more efficient in resolving issues/problems/gaps encountered in projects
Let CMMI Consultants design the structure of Lessons Learnt for your organization
Creating and maintaining Lessons Learnt requires careful planning and implementation. Lessons Learnt should be implemented on a central repository so that everybody can access and use it. DQS India has expert CMMI Consultants who can help you in planning a good Lessons Learnt repository for your organization. We can also guide you for enhancing your PAL repository with other artefacts including Risks, Tailoring Guidelines, SDLC Guidelines etc.
You can hire CMMI Consultant from DQS India for implementation of Lessons Learnt and PAL in your organization in compliance with the CMMI Model. Contact Information is available at DQS India Contact Page.
You can read more about DQS India CMMI Consultant.