The purpose of Requirements Management (REQM) is to manage requirements of products and product components of the project and to ensure the management of requirements with the project plans. Requirements Management (REQM) process area is available at CMMI Maturity Level 2 under the Project Management category.
Requirements Management (REQM) helps in better understanding of the requirements, obtaining commitment to requirements, managing requirements changes and ensuring alignment between project work and requirements.
How to implement Requirements Management (REQM) as per CMMI
Steps for implementing Requirements Management (REQM) in projects:
- Requirements understanding. First step for Requirements Management (REQM) is to develop the understanding of requirements using different techniques like surveys, study of existing system, interviews, prototyping, modelling, etc. Requirements then are documented in the form of Requirements Document. Requirements are then analysed to ensure that they met the customer needs.
- Take Commitment to Requirements. Next step is to take the commitment from relevant stakeholders for the documented requirements. Generally commitment for requirements is taken in the form of approval email or signup.
- Requirements Change Management. Once requirements are approved and base-lined, changes to the requirements are managed so that they do not impact the project negatively. All the change requests are logged, analysed, reviewed, approved and implemented. Different artefacts used to manage Requirements changes may include Change Log, Requirements Impact Analysis, and updated Requirements document.
- Update Requirements Traceability Matrix Document. After each base-lining of the requirements document (and other engineering document) RTM (Requirements Traceability Matrix) document shall be updated with the relevant section in each engineering document. Traceability is maintained in bi-directional manner from first phase to the last phase and vice versa.
- Maintain alignment between Requirements and Project Work. Project Manager shall ensure that the project work is aligned with the approved requirements of the project. Changes to the requirement are also updated to the project tasks and assigned to the team.
Source: CMMI-DEV Model, CMMI Institute.
Interpretation by the author.
Benefits of Requirements Management (REQM) in the projects
Requirements Management (REQM) when conducted in the projects has following benefits:
- Helps in the better understanding of the requirements
- Helps in base-lining the requirements
- Helps in taking commitment from client
- Helps in the requirements change management
- Helps in reducing the changes in requirements
- Helps in tracing the requirements in each phase
Want Requirements Management (REQM) training in your organization
DQS India, CMMI Authorised Partner, provides Requirements Management (REQM) training for better understanding of requirements, understanding change management, taking commitment from stakeholders, aligning project activities with requirements. Training also covers the best practices followed to gather requirements from client and to document them into Requirements Documentation, maintaining Requirements Traceability.
Training is delivered through highly qualified and experienced CMMI Authorised Trainer and CMMI Consultants.