Measurement and Analysis (MA) process area is available at CMMI Maturity Level 2 under the Support category.
The primary objective of CMMI Measurement and Analysis (MA) Process Area is to develop the practice of fact-based decision making. The decision can be based on facts only when the key performance results are available to take a rational and objective decision. CMMI Measurement and Analysis Process Area helps in the development and maintaining a repository of Performance Measurement Data in the organization. This repository helps in the better control of critical project parameters like – schedule, effort, cost, defects, cost of quality, etc. It also helps in mid-course correction when the project is going off-track on key performance parameters.
Steps for implementing CMMI Measurement and Analysis (MA) in projects
- Define Measurement Objectives: First step for implementing MA is to define the goals for measurement i.e. what is going to be measured in the project. The goals set should focus on customer objectives, process and project objectives and should in form of performance parameters which are critical. A technique like Goal Question Metric (GQM) can be used to develop measurement objectives which are critical.
- Specify Measures: Next step is to define the measures (units) for the measurement goals selected for the project. These measures are defined as the number or the range for the selected measurement objective. Some examples could be EVM, % schedule variance, % effort variance, defects per FP, % cost of quality, etc.
- Define how data will be collected and stored: Next define a procedure for metrics data collection including different sources of data collection, steps to collect data, storage location, storage format, etc. It is very important that the data-collection process is of high integrity and data collected is representative.
- Metrics Data Analysis: The analytical techniques to analyse the data should be as per the organization’s requirement. The techniques can be simple or advanced. One can use simple qualitative analysis or advanced quantitative analysis using sophisticated statistical tools. The objective is to analyse the data in such a manner that correct conclusions can be drawn.
- Communicate Results: Communication of Metrics data results is very important to the key stakeholders. Provide the final baseline reports to the relevant stakeholders. Stakeholders may include Senior Management, Clients etc. Information shall be self descriptive otherwise should be accompanied with instruction to analyse report.
Benefits of Measurement and Analysis in the organization
CMMI Measurement and Analysis (MA) when conducted in the organization has following benefits:
- It helps in the collection of metrics data across organization.
- It helps in the control of project performance.
- It helps in the establishment of organizational set of metrics goal, which over a period of time gets refined.
- It helps in achieving higher levels of CMMI Maturity.
- It helps in transfer of learning.
- It helps in fact based decision making
Want Measurement and Analysis training in your organization
DQS India, CMMI Authorised Partner, provides Measurement and Analysis training for better management of metrics in your organization. Metrics Training provides best practices to be followed while establishing Metrics Goals in the organization using GQM Matrix, use of tools in metrics data analysis, metrics data collection and storage, metrics reporting and communication.
We also help in establishing the organizational repository for Metrics Data, so that future project estimates can use them.
Training is delivered through highly qualified and experienced CMMI Consultants, who has multi years of experience in CMMI and other Quality Management Systems.