As we all know that CMMI was developed by SEI (now CMMI Institute). The SEI created the first CMM designed for software organizations and published it in a book, The Capability Maturity Model: Guidelines for Improving the Software Process [SEI 1995]. Since then it has evolved in a comprehensive framework for Process Improvement in Software Engineering Domain.
There are many advantages and disadvantages for implementing CMMI-DEV in a Software Development IT Organization.
Advantages of CMMI
There are numerous benefits of implementing CMMI in an IT / Software Development Organization, some of these benefits are listed below:
- Culture for maintaining Quality in projects starts in the mind of the junior programmers to the senior programmers and project managers
- Centralised QMS for implementation in projects to ensure uniformity in the documentation which means less learning cycle for new resources, better management of project status and health
- Incorporation of Software Engineering Best Practices in the Organizations as described in CMMI Model
- Cost saving in terms of lesser effort due to less defects and less rework
- This also results in increased Productivity
- On-Time Deliveries
- Increased Customer Satisfaction
- Overall increased Return on Investment
- Decreased Costs
- Improved Productivity
Disadvantages of CMMI
- CMMI-DEV is may not be suitable for every organization.
- It may add overhead in terms of documentation.
- May require additional resources and knowledge required in smaller organizations to initiate CMMI-based process improvement.
- May require a considerable amount of time and effort for implementation.
- Require a major shift in organizational culture and attitude.
How to overcome these disadvantages or convert them into advantages?
With an intention for Process Improvement, organizations can overcome these disadvantages with following workarounds:
- Selection of the CMMI Model relevant to the Business Domain of the organization. CMMI Consultant can help in selecting the right CMMI Model from the three CMMI Models i.e. CMMI-DEV, CMMI-ACQ and CMMI-SVC, based on the analysis of exiting Business Domain of organization.
- CMMI does not force implementer to prepare documentation for the required evidences rather it focuses on tools. Overhead of the documentation can be minimised by implementation of automated tool for managing the required evidences in the tool.
- For knowledge and resources, organizations may hire external CMMI Consultants. CMMI Consultants can provide the required knowledge and expertises required for CMMI Implementations. They can also expedite the CMMI Implementation.
- CMMI Consultants can provide the guidance for CMMI Implementation and do the implementation for your organization.
- For change in Cultural and Organization resistance different activities can be conducted like awareness sessions, town-hall training, awareness display hoarding and posters, mock drills with complete facilitation for implementation.
Contact DQS India, Authorised SEI Partner, for CMMI implementation in your organization
We at DQS India (an Authorised SEI Partner), have CMMI Consultants who can provide expert guidance for implementing the different CMMI Models like CMMI-DEV, CMMI-SVC, CMMI-ACQ and for different Maturity Levels from 2 to 5. We can help from starting up the implementation, managing it, quantitatively managing and then optimising it for your organization. We undertake all types of activities including QMS Development, CMMI implementation, Internal Assessment, Training, Interviews, Formal SCAMPI Assessment etc.
Contact DQS India
Interested in our CMMI Services, please contact:
DQS Certification India Private Limited
Please note: Email communication would be preferred mode of communication.
Reference Material taken from www.dqsindia.com